your online presence. your style.
your online presence. your style.
Social Media Integration
Copy Writing Services
Graphic Design Services
Examples of Sites designed by Karen Vollaire | Kay-Africa
(click to enlarge and scroll through)
Frequently Asked Questions
Is a Kay-Africa designed WordPress site the right choice for me?
✓ If you want an affordable solution. ✓ If attention to detail is important to you. ✓ You want a well-designed website. ✓ You need your site to reflect your personality and brand. ✓ You don’t want to pay for someone to code from scratch, but don’t want a generic template either, and like the idea of using a page builder to create something special. ✓ You would like your site built around a content management system like wordpress.org so that you can alter parts of the site yourself as needed, or add news/blog posts.
What are the benefits of using a page builder like Divi?
Coding a website from scratch takes time, and therefore ends up costing the client more. That is why I prefer to use a page builder to create a unique theme for each client. It means:
✓ Your site is up and running more quickly.
✓ You have more control over your site in the long run as I can teach you how to log in and change areas of the site that you want to update. (E.g. an events listing, or changing slider images).
✓ You have a unique looking site based on your needs and personality.
What is the process for having a site built by Kay-Africa Design?
2. You provide the content for your site, as well as the images.
✓ Content for each page or section
✓ Social media accounts to link to (name/URL address)
✓ Contact details for CONTACT page, and email address you want forms to send to
✓ Possible images to use (saved to a folder on Google Drive or flash disk/renamed with the name you want to appear in the gallery), unless you prefer we source stock images
✓ Page descriptions for SEO (e.g. google) – 156 characters each
3. Design Proposal – Once your content is in order, we can create a design plan based on your requirements.
4. You approve the plans, sign job order and pay first installment of 50% for Kay-Africa/Karen Vollaire to begin building the site.
5. Site is developed.
6. Last 50% is paid upon completion of the site and the site is then made live/public.
7. Site handover (documentation and tutorial)
* What are the pre-design questions that we will need to discuss?
- What is the purpose of your site?
- What are your main goals?
- Do you have a logo?
- Do you have graphics or photos that you would like to appear on the site?
- Do you need to have photos, graphics, logos or icons made/sourced? (Do you need Kay-Africa to quote on doing this? Or do we need to add a little extra for purchasing stock images?)
- Please list the pages/sections that you want included (E.g. home/landing, about, contact, services, blog).
- Do you want to use content from an existing site? Or write new content?
- Do you need Kay-Africa to quote on writing your content for you?
- Do you have any design preferences for your site?
- Are there any websites or fonts that inspire you in your choice of design? (Feel free to make a Pinterest board with your ideas).
- Please list the features that you would like your website to have (E.g. content form/ booking enquiry form/ social media share buttons etc.)
What are the costs for setting up a site?
- Hosting – You will need a company to host your website.
- Domain Name – This is the name, or “address”, of your website (eg. kay-africa.co.za). Once you have bought your site’s domain name, you will need to renew ownership yearly.
- SSL – some hosting plans offer a free SSL security certificate to show that your site is secure (green padlock in browser shows site is secure and contents is encrypted). Some web hosts will require you to purchase an SSL certificate through a third party.
What does Kay-Africa bring to the design process?
- An eye for detail
- Liking things to be neat and organised
- Graphic design and photography support skills
- Ability to interpret your needs and make them reality
- Treating your website as a part of your company’s bigger branding and identity picture. It should all be related and integrated.
What is mobile reponsive design?
This is where the site layout adjusts to fit the size of screen being used to view the website. So the site will look good and contents will be legible whether viewed on a small mobile phone or a large desktop PC.
What is SEO?
Search Engine Optimisation (SEO) means ‘making a website easy to find by search engines like google, and to optimise them so that they rank higher in the list of search results.’ SEO includes adding meta data to pages, images, gallery etc. for Google and other search engines to be able to read and make sense of them. Your site needs to be linked to Google Search Console and a sitemap needs to be created for them to index your site effectively. You want to be found online.
What is site security?
- Security measures are put in place to prevent brute-force attacks from hackers.
- SSL certificate is set-up if available from you web host (this displays a green padlock in browser tab to show that your site is sending encrypted information that hackers cannot interfere with)
How does payment work?
- An initial first installment of 50% is required once steps 1-4 of the design process have been completed. (i.e. After we have discussed your needs/ you have provided the images and content needed for your site/ we have agreed on a design plan). Then the website will be built.
- The balance can be paid once you have seen the final site and sign-off on completion as per agreed on design.
- The site will go live once you have paid the final installment.
Payments in South Africa can be done via EFT/ cash Payments outside of South Africa can be made via PayPal or bank transfer.